Monday 13 May 2013

Being with my books..


“Words, for all they were flimsy and invisible, had great strength. They could be fortified as a castle wall and sharp as a foil. They could bite, slap, shock, wound. But unlike deeds, words couldn't really help you. No promise ever rescued a person; it was the carrying-through of it that brought about salvation.”


Well..these are some words by one of my favorite authors Jodi Picoult..Words are the essence of a book, a blog , a letter..So when you write, you are fulfilling a promise..Its a promise to a loved one who believes in you, its a promise to the person who made you realize the power of words and finally its a promise to yourself because somewhere inside you lies a part  which wants to have that power to inspire and influence. But words even though they are a promise cannot teach you the art of living. Unless you follow through with your actions, about whatever those words taught you and meant for you.I am not aiming for those lofty ideals as of now. But if i can make one person smile or cry through my words, its worth it.

Books..They have carved a permanent place in my heart..Who doesn't want to live in a parallel world full of things to be explored, experiences to be tasted and touched, emotions to be analysed? Well parallel world is the backbone of virtual world games and social sites. So why not build your own world with every single book you read?

A single book can lay down a million experiences for your soul. If you are a romantic, you can experience the innocence of a first crush, the sweetness and uncertainty of that first kiss, the unspoken gestures that speak volumes but which we often ignore in our real lives, the intense mood of making love, holding a thousand different promises with it. If you believe in realism, you can experience the pain of loosing your loved one, the complications of dealing with any tragedy, the rock solid truths which are birth of a new life and death of a life well lived. If you are an adrenaline junkie, how else can you feel the thrill of using a powerful gun, the vastness of the ocean beneath you, the skillful alertness of a hunter. If you love a good old arguement any day, how else will can you get epic courtroom histrionics, powerfully delivered lines, word perfect merciless characters?



“For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography, and history offers an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time.”
― Louis L'Amour


The pleasures of being absorbed in a book are manifold. Yet in our busy lives we hardly have time or the patience to explore these opportunities, to enjoy these subtle pleasures.

Why do i read a book?
I read because i do not want to feel alone. I read because in moments of darkness they light my way and make me smile and often make me wiser. I read because alone i am not equipped to handle the oddballs that life throws in my way. I read to love a little more, cry a little more, treasure my life a little more. I read to travel, to debate, to love. I read to cut through every chain that bounds me to my real life and i read to realize what i have and how beautiful my life is.

No comments: